Sunday, October 23, 2011

DOES YOUR PREGNANCY MOOD AFFECT YOUR BABIES ATTITUDE ??

I want to say an especial thanks to Saphire for this blog, it is a fascinating subject.  Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.



From: Saphire george
 
 
 
I often think of strange things at the most unusual of times ! For instance this thought came into my head whilst shopping in iceland ..
DOES YOUR PREGNANCY MOOD EFFECT YOUR BABIES ATTITUDE ??

"Professor Glover said children's behavior was usually attributed to either genes or parenting.
But she said this research suggested there was a chemical element as well"
and the answer is yes in some cases it can! I always get told how happy a thriving Stuart is - this could be a result of my happy mood during my pregnancy. Yes I understand everyone has mood swings and that is totally normal but things such as depression can affect babies' weight, and whether baby comes late or early. Please do not misread this as it doesn't happen in all cases ! 

     

Studies have shown that women with a high level of anxiety in their last 3 months of pregnancy are more likely to give birth to a child who will have behavioural problems. With a non-anxious mum the chances of having a child with adhd are 1 in 20 whereas if you have an anxious mum this is increased to 1 in 10 - if these women have boys that chance then increases to a 1 in 5 chance.


"We know some of these hormones, for example cortisol, can cross the placenta and it may well affect the development of the baby's brain in the womb." said Lead researcher Professor Vivette Glover" 
these findings came from a survey of more than 7,000 mothers-to-be. Each woman surveyed completed questionnaires designed to measure her level of anxiety at 18 and 32 weeks of pregnancy.

“Women were identified as anxious if they scored in the top 15% of respondents. Their children were assessed for behavioural and emotional problems just before their fourth birthday. Researchers focused in particular on women who were anxious during their pregnancy, but whose levels of anxiety fell after delivery. This was to see how the baby's behaviour was affected by antenatal anxiety rather than their mother's mood during their early years.”
let me give you a personal experience - me and my friend were due 2 weeks apart.


My pregnancy was led very happily healthy (apart from the few false starts) but I was thriving I got very big but that was my baby the back ache didnt matter the stretch marks and everything else that comes with pregnancy such as the “glowing stage” they say you get ! The only thing glowing about me was my bright red stretch marks and spots like you would believe :) none of it mattered though even now there signs of pregnancy marks of pride for the child that once grew and developed in my body ! (back on the subject saphire we're not writing a poem), anyway my friend on the other hand she hated everything about pregnancy - constantly up the hospital for no reason at all other than she was hoping they would give her a c-section ! She was constantly in bed sulking and every time she got a stretch mark it was like her life almost ended ! She was tested for depression but doctors agreed it was all in her head and she was fed up ! After 37 weeks she tried absolutely everything to get labour started.


My son was born 6 days after due date her son born on due date :) my little boy has hit all of his targets bang on time and is even excelling compared to the other little boy who isnt a very happy baby at all he doesn't babble at 8 months, he still hasnt smiled, rolled over or done anything that most babies do at that age (has been checked by doctors for development problems and none were found) so is it because of her mood during pregnancy ? Sure links up ! I know people will think I'm nasty but I'm just giving an example and telling the truth, I will allow you to come to your own conclusion of whether you think it is possible or not, and I will say this is not always the case. Please do not think I'm saying you have to constantly be happy .. so when doctors say a happy pregnancy makes a healthy baby don't be so quick to dismiss it... :)


Babies born to mothers who are depressed may also be less active, show less attention and are more irritable and agitated than babies born to moms who are not depressed. This is why getting the right help is so important for both mom and baby.

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear your opinions X

No comments: